Dear fellows kindly follow the blog by pressing follow button
Assignment No.4 (Course STA301)
Spring 2009 (Total Marks 30)
Your Assignment must be uploaded/ submitted before or on
23:59 (Mid Night), 4th June, 2009
(STUDENTS ARE STRITCLY DIRECTED TO SUBMIT THEIR ASSIGNMENT BEFORE OR BY DUE DATE. NO ASSIGNMNENT AFTER DUE DATE WILL BE ACCEPTED VIA E.MAIL).
Rules for Marking
It should be clear that your Assignment will not get any credit IF:
• The Assignment submitted, via email, after due date.
• The submitted Assignment is not found as MS Word document file.
• There will be unnecessary, extra or irrelevant material.
• The Statistical notations/symbols are not well-written i.e., without using MathType software.
• The Assignment will be copied from handouts, internet or from any other student’s file. Copied material (from handouts, any book or by any website) will be awarded ZERO MARKS. It is PLAGIARISM and an Academic Crime.
• The medium of the course is English. Assignment in Urdu or Roman languages will not be accepted.
• Assignment means Comprehensive yet precise accurate details about the given topic quoting different sources (books/articles/websites etc.). Do not rely only on handouts. You can take data/information from different authentic sources (like books, magazines, website etc) BUT express/organize all the collected material in YOUR OWN WORDS. Only then you will get good marks.
Objective(s) of this Assignment:
• The assignment is being uploaded to strengthen the knowledge of different types of probability distributions.
• To give the practice that how to use a probability distribution for a particular problem.
Question 1 10 Marks
(a) If the joint probability distribution of X and Y is given by
(b) An electrical firm manufactures light bulbs that have a length of life that is normally distributed with mean equal to 800 hours and a standard deviation of 40 hours. Find the probability that a bulb burns
(i) Less than 778 hours.
(ii) Between 778 and 834 hours.
Question 2 20 Marks
(a) The average number of days school is closed due to snow during the winter in a certain city in the eastern part of United States is 4.What is the probability that the school in this city will close for 2 or more days during winter?
(b) Is there any inconsistency in the statement that the mean of a binomial distribution is 20 and its standard deviation is 4? If no inconsistency is found what shall be the values of p, q and n.
Attempting Methodology / Requirements of the Assignment
• This assignment covers Lesson No 26 to Lesson No 30
• In Short answer question you can express your answer in 4-10 lines.
• Illustrating your point you can give short examples
• In numerical question, proper notation and symbols must be well written. For this use MathType Software.
• Solve numerical step-by-step, giving all necessary explanation, whenever necessary.
Solution is coming soon in anytime.