Assignment No. 01
Total Marks: 20
Your assignment must be uploaded / submitted before or on October 19, 2009.
Please view the document related to assignment submission process provided to you by the
Rules for Marking
Kindly note that your assignment will NOT be graded if:
§ It is submitted after due date
§ The file you uploaded does not open
§ The file you uploaded is copied from someone else
1. Read the problem description carefully looking for:
· People / Organizations / Things that supply information to or use information from the system => external entities (EE)
· Actions / Doing words / Verbs => Processes (P)
· Movement / Exchange of information / Data between external entities to processes, and processes to processes => data flows (DF)
· Store / Record information / Data => data stores(DS)
2. It often helps to walk through the system in its logical sequence; eg starting with an external entity (source), add data flows, processes and data stores as the data provided by the entity is manipulated by the system.
Draw a Context as well as Level 0 Data Flow Diagram (DFD) of a Shop Sale Management System for a company sailing shops in different parts of country. The Shop Sale Management System works as follows:
Ø Customer Places order. System checks availability of the customer in customer file (If he / she is already a customer). If found, then approved otherwise a new customer is created. Here new customer’s info is sent to ledger file.
Ø Then the availability of shops is checked in the stock. If found, an Invoice is generated. Invoice info is sent to the customer, stock, ledger as well as sales department.
Ø If shop is not available at this time, then this info is also sent to the customer.
Ensure that you can analyze existing manual system and can draw Data Flow Diagrams of any proposed system.